It's Just Little Leaven


I have been walking through Galatians with our C&C group on Tuesdays. A few weeks ago we were in Galatians 5 and this verse struck me. I have had it in the back of my mind ever since. 

Specifically Paul is warning the Galatians that one false teacher, even if they be wrong in only one part, will cause a world of hurt. It is sin and it defiles. It leads astray.  As I have pondered upon these words I conclude that sin of any kind, be it small, pollutes the whole.  One person who has erred can lead many astray be it in action or in doctrine. One drop of dye turns the water another color. One grumpy person can set the whole house on edge. Then there is the whole brownie illustration...

I have recently learned that meditation leads to application. It yields understanding that can be put into practice.*  It is something I have been trying to do more and more as I read the Scripture. As I have meditated on this passage, I have had to answer some questions.

Am I the one who promotes righteous attitudes? 
Do I go along with the one who is leavening? 
Am I the one who is the leaven?
Do I seek to purge the leaven from my own heart?

The answer varies depending on the situation but specifically with regard to my family and work I have found the answers to those questions are often not positive. Many times it is I who begins the downward spiral whether in speech or attitude. It I who does not stand up against sinful behavior or thinking. It is I who allows "respectable sins" to grow unhindered in my heart.  It must not be so.  By God's grace I have been freed from the bondage of sin and I must walk in the light. It should be my endeavor, as much as can be helped by me, that there be no leaven in the "lump" of my home, my church, or my heart.

Comments