Book Review: StressTest

Dr. Matt Newman is a surgeon who recently sold his private practice to become an assistant professor of surgery at Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas.  Everything in his life was perfect. Until he became entangled in a murder.
StressTest was written by Richard L. Marbry, M.D.  Marbry's experience in medicine enables him to write with vivid detail the medical scenarios. He is a gifted writer whose fast paced book kept me engaged until the end.  When I am reading suspense/mystery it becomes a game to try to figure out the "who done it" before the author explains.  While I had an inkling, I certainly had no idea how all the pieces fell together until it was spelled out for me.

LIKED:

The use of idiom
The technical jargon
The use of Scripture


DISLIKED:
If you've read many of my posts you know I am a stickler for sound theology.
I disliked the main character trusting in a "prayer" for his Salvation.
Other bits of bad theology.

I would definitely recommend the book.  I caution recommending it to anyone who is "seeking".  Although it would be wrong to take their theology from a novel, they might be compelled to think that just saying a prayer somehow magically saves you and that there need not be a lasting change in one's life to prove that Salvation. I loved the pace. I loved the use of medical terms and situations. I was guessing at how things all tied together until the end. Very well written. Thumbs up.

Comments

  1. i love hearing of new books...i'll check this one out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment