Pure Spiritual Milk and a side of Steak

What do these things have in common?








Sometimes the best part of church is the children's sermon.

We go to a "family integrated" style church, my family and myself.  Today just know that means that we don't have children's church. We do have a children's sermon though. Every Sunday there is a special time carved out of the service just for the kids. All the children know when it comes in the service and as soon as the meet and greet is over, all the kids are down on the first row of seats. Most often our Pastor teaches the children but on occasion one of the young men or other fathers in the church will take their turn at sharing with the children.

Today Bro. Gary, our Pastor, had the white board set up with a question "What do these things have in common?". He asked the children the question then began to draw on the board. As he drew, the kids identified what each sketch was. Some of the guesses were quite funny. We have a wide variety of ages that come down front. Last week my sister said that the "green" of the Gospel Story colors stood for poison ivy. Let your imagination roam.

Quickly the children knew the common denominator. All of the things he drew were things that you could eat. The next question " Why do we need to eat these things?" (besides the obvious, so you don't die)

 Bro. Gary reached over to get a measuring tape and began to measure the height  of some of the children. As he did he discussed how in order to grow we need all kinds of food and more importantly, in order to grow Spiritually, we need the "food" of the Word so that we can grow to be mature/"tall" spiritually speaking.

As my pastor pointed to his Bible, emphasizing that we are to be taking in the daily food of the Word. I felt conviction in my gut. This past week especially I have been starving myself of true Spiritual food.

Oh I've read my Bible. I have even worked on my memory verses but I have no lingered over the dinner table savoring each bite. I have hastily tried a twinky or a ding dong. It is sweet for a moment, it satisfies the craving for a time, but leaves me feeling empty and fat.

I have tasted the "pure spiritual milk" that Peter talks about. I need to be gnawing on weightier matters. Growing up in the faith.  Twinkies and DingDongs are good for after dinner not in the place of it.

 You need milk, not solid food, for everyone who lives on milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, since he is a child. But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.
Hebrews 5:12-14

Comments