Back to Memorization

If you've been reading my blog very long you may remember that at one point in time I was memorizing Scripture on a regular basis. This past semester that plan fizzled out. 

I'm pleased to announce I am back at it.

God is peeling the onion of my heart this summer.
I am thankful. So thankful.

He has been doing that primarily through His Word ...
.as well as though a position and some books.
I've started a study on James.
I've finished The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment by Tim Challies.
(You should read that one.^)
I'm in the midst of  The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges.
And I started Tempted and Tried by Russel Moore...
but I decided two books on holiness at the same time will depress me too much.
I had to go exercise last night. I got into a funk and I had only read the first chapter of Moore's book.
Honestly. I'm not exactly sure what it is going to cover!

All of these books point to something that I knew to be true and that the LORD has been nudging me towards for a good while now.

You may or may not know that I've been teaching 13yr old girls.
I discovered when I began teaching them that I have little Bible knowledge.
 I have been blessed to be raised in a Believing home with discipling parents.
I grew up under the preaching of Dale Thompson!
Yet, as I studied to teach I realized I did not know how to translate into words and verse how or where different principles came from in Scripture.
Mmm. What a slap in the face of my pride.

I have looked up, so to speak, and realized that it seems to be my natural position at this time to be the 
"advise giver". 
Sometimes the filter that gets people to thinking about what could be wrong with a certain situation.
If that is where God has placed me, then I need to be sure to do the job effectively.
I cannot issue sound advise or know the difference between truth and almost truth if I am not extremely familiar with His word.

We are to be transformed by the WORD.
Our beings need it.
In order to live a life "worthy of the calling" we must know the WORD and consequently know our LORD.
So. beyond just study. I am going to memorize.
Memorize with verse numbers at that!

Beyond being able to help others, familiarity with His word coupled with humility.
Will bring me into a deeper relationship with my Savior.
One that brings about more intimate fellowship and greater obedience.
Is there anything sweeter?
    
But for me it is good to be near God;  I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
 that I may tell of all your works.
Psalm 73:28


* Within that article is a link to a book download with tips and thoughts on Memorizing Scripture.

Comments