"For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God."
My notes were kind of sketchy but I'll share what I did write out.
There is a crisis in the church. Worship has become about feelings and doctrine has become a forbidden word. Remove doctrine and you remove teaching on Salvation. How then is one to be saved? If doctrine is unimportant then how do we know what God has said?
Justified- legal term; declared righteous before God-innocent
Salvation has been reduced to two different errors within the mainstream evangelical church.
- Easy beliefism- decisional salvation
- mental assent
- mom wants me to, friends did, seems to be the right thing to do
- like joining a club
- no grief over sin or changed life
- the man who prayed at 10 but never showed any evi
- Blend of faith and works
- all of our righteousness is as filthy rags
- Imagine the most nasty disgusting rag you can imagine. Dip your rag into the most vile substance(s) then think of presenting that before God as an offering. Such is our own attempt at goodness in the eyes of God- except worse.
- the idea that we bring something to the table belittles the cross
- Ephesians 2:8-9
- Luke 18:9-14 the thief on the cross
- knew that he was wicked, Jesus was pure, trusted that Jesus was his only hope
- 2 Corinthians 5:21
- Christ became sin for us