Farmer's Fruit Cake

Do you remember this recipe?
It is the one I got from a novel I was reading. Believe it or not it turned out to be a legit recipe.

Anyone who knows me or my mom knows that we hardly ever follow a recipe to a t.
 Substitute dried pears for dried apples.
  I actually think that the apple would be much better but we didn't have any.
Kinda surprised we had dried pears. Go figure.
 Sub 3/4 of a c honey or 3/4 c  brown sugar= 1c molasses
The book said use 3 cups of molasses. I didn't want to use all the molasses we owned.
 Add your dried fruit and simmer for 2 HOURS!
 Add all of your ingredients together until you have a stiff batter. *
(Looks gross huh)
Bake somewhere between 30-40 minutes.
(I used a bunt pan just cause it was convenient)

As to the taste....if you like molasses then you will LOVE this cake.
If you don't then...... don't bother.

*I ended up adding more baking soda to the batter cause it seemed insufficient for the amount of  batter I had. It was a good move.

Comments