When Sin looks More Enjoyable Than God

And now what do you gain by going to Egypt
to drink the waters of the Nile?
Or what do you gain by going to Assyria
to drink the waters of the Euphrates?
Your evil will chastise you,
and your apostasy will reprove you.
Know and see that it is evil and bitter
for you to forsake the Lord your God;
the fear of me is not in you,
declares the Lord God of hosts.
Jeremiah 2:18-19

My friend Brittney Moon, who encourages (and often convicts me without even knowing it) was chatting with me this evening. I was telling her about Sylvania which caused me to remember Francis Chan (her favorite preacher). So, I youtubed him and came across the sermon to which this post is linked. He had the congregation turn to Jeremiah 2 and in doing so I read the above passage. It seemed to be the perfect description of my hear the past few weeks. Ugh what conviction! How blessed and sweet!

I tend to be a perfectionist when I think I can do well at something. That 'something' is namely school. I have, yet again, bitten the lie that school is to be king in my life and of course my relationship with the True King has suffered. BUT, God is faithful. His promises ring true and I become miserable because I have neglected my Savior. He isn't finished with me yet. He turned my heart back to Him and moved me to find encouragement through His Word and expositors of The Word.





Comments